For any family going through a separation, communication is extremely important. Talking to your child about your separation and listening to them to ensure you understand their needs and concerns are essential skills. Areas covered in this section include:
- When to tell your child about your separation and anticipating questions they may ask you
- Developing your emotional ‘readiness’ and listening to your child
- Understanding your child’s worries and seeing things from their perspective
- Reassuring your child while remaining honest and realistic
- How your child may react depending on their age
- Helping your child maintain relationships with family and friends after a separation.